Friday, June 8, 2012

Blinky500 feature: Punisher '82

  Punisher '79 was the first.  It doesn't matter if the it's the strongest or the weakest.  It just needs to be good enough to get your interest, which it does, so as the first it gets a category to itself.  '80 is the weakest (but only by comparison) and '81 is the strongest.  So where does that leave '82?  Well, '82 is the most fun and going by Chris'comments on his You Tube (which I've been stealing all along and you should have been reading the whole time.  Jeez, I go to the trouble of stealing and you don't even benefit from it...) it sounds like he had the most fun filming it.

  What we have is as simple as Punisher whoopin' some ass.  It's a long list of cameo's, some of which are inappropriate (such as Elite who was not a villian, I say, as nerdily as possible) but the whole thing is just so god damn (Batman) fun that I just don't care.  I can put my inner nerd aside and enjoy it for what it is: 7 minutes and 16 seconds of awesome done to the tune of AC/DC's Thunderstruck, which, oddly enough, is exactly the same thing that could be said about my love making.  Highlights are the dialog, which is all improvised, the fight with Typhoid Mary (played by Kim Santiago), the choreography (also improvised) and The Russian, who I thought was the best cameo.  Also it features a much improved Bullseye, who I could have stood to see more of.  If you haven't been reading Chris' comments after the jump until now, and shame on you if you haven't been, I highly recommend this one.  Mostly because it explains everything you may have a complaint about, that mostly being about the cameo's and how they were handled and why they were handled that way.  Take a look.

Punisher '79-'82 IMDB

Blinky Productions

A word from Chris (stolen from his You Tube page) after the jump (read it this time)





A WORD FROM CHRIS

  Punisher'82 was filmed in 4 hours at an indoor skateboard park in Oil City, Long Island NY with no script and no budget. From the get go, I knew this short was too complicated for me to script out, especially since I didn't know the lay of the land all that well. So I just threw caution to the wind and decided to wing it. Upon arrival, I took all my actors on a walk through around the park and conveyed what I had envisioned for them to do in their scenes. I chose to time out the entire film to the song "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC. In doing that, it was easier for me to figure things out. Also since I lived so far away from the location, staging six fights based on assumption would just be foolish.

  The dialog was also 100% improvised. I had a general idea of what I wanted people to say but again, there were just so many things going on, that I didn't want to bog myself down with a script. And ironically, I'm really happy we didn't have a script for this. The filming of this just flowed. I think not staging anything in advance gave some weight to the reality of the film. When pitching the story to my actors, they all asked me what the plot for '82 was. I simply said, "Punisher walks into a building and kills everybody in it." They laughed and then said, "No seriously, what's the plot?" So I replied, "Punisher walks into a building, kills everybody in it, and then leaves."

  Looking at it from the perspective of the character, how would Punisher plan that? In truth he wouldn't. He can't predict where people will be, so he would just improvise and kill anyone who gets in his path. So with that mentality in mind, I shot and choreographed this whole thing. Not bad if I do say so myself.

  As far as the cast of characters is concerned, I'm sure some people are going to complain that their favorite baddie died too fast or should've done something differently. Well to those people out there, I apologize. But you gotta remember, this is a Punisher movie with an ensemble cast of glorified cameos. I got a steady pace I'm trying to keep and favoring one villain over another would just slow things down. I really only threw in all those characters just for fun. And of course when you're working with a zero dollar budget, you can only do so much.

  But as a whole, I think Punisher'82 is a nice way to cap off my series. Punisher went out with a bang and got to kill a bunch of people and I think at the end of the day, that's all people want to see anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment