Saturday, May 4, 2013

Iron Man 3 (2013) theatrical release

Rating: 4 out of 5 autonomous armors here to save you

Review:  I've been looking forward to this for some time.  The script rumors, the plot talk, set photo's and then finally clips and trailers.  I was really looking forward to seeing this and it lived up to the hype.  Not for reasons that I thought it would, no not at all, there are several twists that totally changed my experience.  They are entertaining, shocking and done really well but they changed my experience.  There really isn't much more I can say about the plot really, you should really see the twists for your self.  I will say that it very loosely follows the Etremis plot line from the comic books (I tracked down the series so I could get a feel for it and the movie is a very loose adaption but there are elements there).



  This review is going to be pretty short.  There isn't much to say really other than go see it and if you are a comic fan odds are you already have or will this weekend.  I will say that it is well paced, the story is good, the special effects are awesome and the cast is excellent.  The interplay between Tony Stark and this kid he befriends (Harley Keener played by Ty Simpkins), I thought, was entertaining.  I know a lot of people online were lamenting the fact that Tony get's an adorable kid sidekick but I think it really works out and makes their segment of the film entertaining.  Everyone puts in a great performance, as usual, but especially Guy Pearce who goes from awkward nerd to suave business man and James Badge Dale as Guy's badass bodyguard.  Other highlights include the establishing of AIM and Roxxon in the Marvel Movie Universe.  Roxxon may have already been established but I think this is the first time I've heard them by name.  The ending is a bit meh, where they shoehorn in a bunch of character "fixes" but it features some of the best ending credits I've seen with a montage of scenes from all 3 films.  It also has an after credits scene but it is after ALL the credits, I would recommend staying just because it's a funny couple of seconds that ties the film together but I heard a lot of groans when it was done and on the way out most people were complaining about sticking around to see it.  So your mileage may vary, I stuck around and I liked it.

  It was a good experience.  I would like to see the Iron Man franchise continue, I was talking with a friend and I said that I had hoped that Iron Man might end up like the James Bond franchise.  No real reboots just a series of movies with changes to the cast as needed.  I love Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark but what would a different actor bring to the role?  I would like to see RDJ make it to Avengers 2, since we've started this whole Phase 2 with his movie but after that I wouldn't mind seeing what someone else could bring to the table.  Imagine in 20 years being able to sit down and discuss who your favorite Stark was?  All sorts of movies with different tones and different performances, each more or less unique but all set in this great established world.  I would like it if Marvel never rebooted another franchise, just recast and continued on.  The only ones that I wouldn't like to see replaced, at this time, are Mark Ruffalo as Hulk and Chris Evans as Captain America.  To me, at least, I would like to see more of both of them.  Like I said I loved RDJ and I will continue to love these movies (the Iron Man trilogy) but I'm getting to a point where I'm ready to move on.  Right now it would be a bit jarring to start Phase 2 with RDJ but conclude Phase 2 with Avengers 2 having a completely different actor as Iron Man.  That's why it would make sense for Phase 3, you kind of get an opportunity for a whole new start with these phases that Marvel is doing.  I thought it was a great movie and in many ways if feels like they were shooting for a satisfying conclusion, in many ways it feels like the last movie in a trilogy but then at the final end of the credits it does say that "Iron Man will return..." I hope he does, in one form or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment