Friday, December 7, 2012

Random Thoughts: the Deadpool reboot, Thunderbolts #1 and more Arrow thoughts

  I just felt like talking about some of the things I've been consuming lately.  First off is the Deadpool reboot.  My original idea was to get a paper subscription and review the first year of the reboot issue by issue.  I've already missed a couple of issues so it seems pointless now, but I've been getting them thanks to Marvels wonderful Digital Subscription Service.  Having an iPhone really makes being a comic book fan easy, especially with the Marvel app.



  Anyway, I've been reading the new issues and I have to say I'm totally underwhelmed.  I don't know if it's because I went in with my expectations sky high or what but I've been pretty 'meh' about the whole thing.  It's not really better or worse than the end of Daniel Way's run but it certainly is different.  The start is enough to keep me interested but I'm staying interested more because of the character and less about the writing.  I was not thrilled with the end of Way's run.  At all, pretty much from the middle of the "Dead" arc up until the last couple of panels of the final issue.  The last page or two of the last issue Way really pulled out something cool.  It almost made the those last arcs tolerable.  I don't really know what happened there, I don't know if he was tired of the character, eager to move on, out of ideas, butting heads with the editor or something else entirely but from "Dead" on it just felt phoned in, half assed and incredibly rushed.  At least the reboot (who has too many people to say every time but consists of Brian Posehn, Gerry Duggan writing and Tony Moore doing art.  From here out know as "reboot" or "new creative") is fresh.  Deadpool is going up against evil zombie former presidents.  The end of the first issue ended with a bang certainly.  But I'm really just hanging in there hoping it gets better.  Hoping that they'll pull it together by the end of the arc.  Personally I got maybe one more crappy to mediocre Deadpool arc and then I'm out.  I'll be done until I hear it's improved.

  Luckily I can still get my Deadpool fix from reading Daniel Way's NEW book Thunderbolts.  Way teams up with artist Steve Dillon to bring us a team book.  The unlikely team of Rulk, Deadpool, Elektra, Punisher, Venom and some chick (apparently named Mercy).  The line up alone was enough to interest me.  In the pages of Red Hulk we've already seen Rulk team with Deadpool, Elektra and Punisher (Red Team) in a brief and tumultous team up against a Wolverine lead X-Force (Black Team) when Rulk attempted to kill Domino.  It's also the first appearance of Red She-Hulk.  Way and Dillon teamed up previously to bring us the awesome Deadpool arc in Wolverine Origins.  That arc was amazing in it's portrayal of Deadpool and really showed what Way could do with Wade.  The first issue totally hooked me and I can't wait to see what happens next.  The issue itself was a pretty standard "assemble to squad of bad asses" montage but it did good to establish who everyone is, what they can do and why they're getting together.  Check it out if you haven't, I don't want to ruin it for you.  I also like that it's led by General "Thunderbolt" Ross which gives a different spin on the team name.  Now they truly are the "Thunderbolts" and it separates them from the Zemo incarnation and that origin of the team/name.  It's kind of clever/stupid but then again so am I.

  Finally I'm still watching Arrow and I'm still loving it.  By the 3rd episode the series systematically addressed everything I disliked about the pilot and it just keeps getting better.  With this weeks intro of the Huntress I can't wait to see how everything continues to play out.  That's really all I have to say about it.  There hasn't been an episode that I didn't love besides the pilot.  So if you haven't been watching it, well you should be, but honestly at this point it might be better to get the season on DVD and watch the whole thing from the beginning.  But it's definitely worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment